Is It Time for New Dentures? Watch for These Signs
November 10, 2023
While dentures in San Antonio are a fantastic solution for a confident smile, they're not immune to wear and tear. Just like anything in life, they have a lifespan. So, what signs should you be on the lookout for that it’s time for a change? It's actually pretty easy to recognize them. Keep reading to uncover the simple cues that could signal it's time for a denture refresh.
Understanding Wear and Tear
Dentures, much like natural teeth, go through a lot each day and are exposed to different things. As time goes on, this constant use can lead to changes in how dentures look and work. Knowing the common signs of wear and tear is important for keeping your mouth healthy.
- Surface Wear: The biting surface of dentures can wear down over time from chewing and grinding. Checking them regularly can help find areas that might need attention.
- Discoloration: Stains and discoloration happen naturally, often from eating certain foods, drinking, or smoking. Regular cleaning can help keep your smile looking brighter.
- Loosening: Dentures might slowly become loose or not fit well, which can affect how comfortable they are. If you notice changes in how they fit, it's important to address the issue promptly.
When and How to Consider Denture Replacement
While regular cleaning can help dentures in San Antonio last longer, there comes a point when replacement is necessary for optimal oral health.
- Visible Damage: Cracks, chips, or fractures in dentures can weaken them. If you see any visible damage, it's time to consult with a dental professional for advice on replacement options.
- Poor Fit: Changes in the jawbone structure or natural aging can result in dentures that no longer fit properly. Ill-fitting dentures not only impact comfort but may also contribute to oral health issues. A dental assessment can determine whether replacement is needed.
- Persistent Discomfort: If you experience ongoing discomfort, soreness, or irritation while wearing dentures, it's a clear indication that adjustments or replacements are necessary. Consulting with a dentist can help address these issues and ensure your dentures are in good shape.
What to Expect from the Replacement Process?
Getting new dentures is a pretty simple process. You'll have a chat with your dentist, they'll check your current dentures, and take some mouth impressions. Then, a custom set of dentures is made for you. When they're ready, you'll have another appointment to make sure they fit just right.
It takes a bit of time, but it's not a complicated or lengthy experience. The end result is a more comfortable set of dentures that help keep your smile healthy.
Ready for New Dentures in San Antonio?
To sum it up, always keep a close eye on your dentures. Remember, swift action is key. Delaying denture replacement might bring discomfort and impact your overall oral well-being.
If you've noticed any of these signs and think it might be time for a denture refresh, don't hesitate to reach out. Our team at La Cantera Dental Group is here to guide you through the process. Schedule a consultation today to ensure your smile continues to shine confidently.